Monday, June 20, 2011

The best days are spontaneous ones.


The thing I think I like the most about Baltimore is the fact that you can wake up in the morning with zero expectations or plans for the day, and end up having a great time. Saturday started out with me saying I wanted to go to the Aquarium (seasons passes are the best invention ever. Thanks Debbie and Steve!). It turned out we weren't the only ones taking advantage of a beautiful day.


 In case you haven't heard (which is 99.9% of you), Baltimore is hosting their first ever Grand Prix this year over Labor Day weekend. Not sure why they decided to do it, but it sounds pretty awesome to me. When else can you see Indy Cars racing through downtown? Anyways, it seems that they have decided to get in a little community involvement/promotion through City Sand 2011, an annual sand sculpting contest.


(click on any picture that you want to see bigger)
 This one was the "official" sand sculpture they had out front.


I'm sorry, but doesn't this little guy make you feel sorta uncomfortable? His face, that spraying champagne bottle, those "lovely ladies" at his feet? Kinda creeps me a bit. 


They had six teams of architects and designers competing for the best Grand Prix themed sculpture. 

Shane's favorite: Horse Power

This is the one I voted for...downtown Baltimore which eventually got more details and a racetrack added to it. I liked their ambition, just because I know what a pain in the butt it must've been to make all those buildings.

 If I had two votes, this would've gotten the other one. If you read my last post, hopefully you get who she is supposed to be ;)
 Looking back on it, I probably should've voted for them. It really represented Baltimore and the Grand Prix without being quite so on the nose. Oh well, no use worrying about it now!


 The whole vibe down at the Harbor is so awesome. Okay so it's really touristy. That's fine by me! As far as I'm concerned, I'm a really enthusiastic tourist on a rather long vacation.
Maybe one day when it's not hot as h*ll, Shane and I will take a ride in one of those Nessie boats. It doesn't look hot in this picture, in fact the sun's not even out, but trust me, I was practically running to get in the sweet sweet AC in the Aquarium.

 Don't these people look like they're having so much fun?!


 I'm not going to bore you with all of my Aquarium photos, but if you're really interested, you can check them out on my facebook.
We just got a new camera, and I'm still learning to use it...so most of the pictures I took turned out super blurry :( some of them came out pretty cool though!


 I loved these adorable tiny tree frogs! Precious! 




After we left the Aquarium, we spotted some people planking by the fountain. We just had to creep on them and get a picture haha. 

Took FOREVER for the Light Rail to come pick us up! We got so bored we had time to go get some dinner at Lenny's. Looks like the Baltimore police had noting better to do either (in case you can't tell, that's 3 cruisers, 5 motorcycles). 




 Once we finally got on the Light Rail, I remembered that day was the big day of Baltimore Pride 2011. We had already missed the parade, but still had plenty of time to make it to the party!  It was really fun, and I'm glad Shane and I got to go.
 The emcees for the day. 


 It was so crowded! There was hardly room to walk around (and this picture only shows a tiny portion of the booths and people!). There was just about any sort of food  you could want, plus drinks, and vendors selling tshirts, jewelry, etc.
 Everybody seemed to be having a really good time, except for a couple of guys I saw who were wearing leather pants and vests. Sure they were smiling on the outside, but you know on the inside they had to be wishing they had stuck with some breathable cotton in that heat.


They even had some burlesque dancers. In case you couldn't tell, this one was Jetsons themed. 
 


Shane + furries + random guy + sandwich guy = a pretty interesting photo if you ask me! The best part is this was right next to the Animal Rescue booth.



Overall, I'd say it was a pretty awesome day.

No comments:

Post a Comment