Monday, November 10, 2014

Weekly Update: The Training Begins...

To see my whole weight loss journey, click here.

You're only young once, right? So what better time to train for a marathon? 


Shane and I went through the Couch 2 5k training program months ago but haven't really kept up with our running as much as we should. The last 5k we attempted was The Great Pumpkin Run at Shuckle's Corn Maze. While a run through a corn maze sounds exciting and fall-ish, it's a little more tough than we planned. I mean they don't just set you loose in the corn and expect you to find your way out -- the path is clearly marked -- but it's hard to keep going when you are twisting and turning around and around a hundred thousand times. 

I was seeing mostly-straight by this point. 

Shane was an insane person and chose the Tough Pumpkin option. See that larger pumpkin in his hands in the photo above? He had to carry that throughout the whole course. 



Don't we make cute farm animals?
We are now following the Hal Higdon Novice 1 - 18 week program. With any luck, we'll be ready to race a 1/2 marathon sometime around January and finished with the training in time to race a full marathon just in time for the Nashville Rock and Roll Marathon at the end of April.  

Sunday was day 1 of the training, and we successfully completed a 3 mile run!! And with a pretty decent time too, keeping a 12:30 mile pace. I honestly didn't think I'd make it even 2 miles...I am so proud of Shane and myself! After we finished the run, Shane thanked me for motivating him and keeping him going, which is funny because his running motivated me and kept me running! 

I've got two more 3 mile runs and a 6 mile run by the end of this week, so wish me luck! I never thought I'd be able to run, and I've surprised myself so far. I'm not at all sure that I'll make it a whole 26.2 miles, but I'm sure gonna try. 


No comments:

Post a Comment