Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Hello Kitty madness

I have always had a slight obsession with Hello Kitty. When I was younger, my mom worked at the Sanrio store at East Town Mall and I think between me and my sister, we owned every piece of HK merchandise they sold. My mom always joked that she owed them money at the end of the month instead of getting a paycheck (which was probably actually true).

*This is where I planned to insert a picture of me with Hello Kitty at my birthday party, which I think was actually my dad or something in the store's HK costume. But since all those pictures are at my parents' house, all I can offer you is this picture of me standing by a bird bath. Sincerest apologies.*

So for the past 20 or so years, the obsession has grown and grown. I've been trying to keep it in check, but that only works for so long. I feel like pretty soon I am going to drown in Hello Kitty. Or look like I just escaped a mental institution. I mean, you know it's bad when you can look at websites like Hello Kitty Hell and want one of everything featured on there (well most everything. I think I could do without the gas mask or the pussy wind deodorant). So here are a few of the items from my current collection, as in, things that I could reach out in a three-foot radius and touch at this very moment. I think that you'll see that I have something for everyone.


 Lunch boxes. A must-have item.


 Self-made Stormtrooper Kitty Nalgene bottle using reject sticker from car. See below.



 The whole (well almost) HelloWars gang on my car. I originally wanted just the R2K2 sticker but then figured I might as well go for it. 
Fun fact: these are arranged from most favorite to least favorite.


 25th anniversary (of Hello Kitty) watch, which was a Christmas present from Shane.



 Not one but two pairs of Hello Kitty Vans, which I magically purchased for only $19.99 each from the Hot Topic website. That was some sort of luck, considering they went up to $40 each two days later.


 These earrings were actually purchased in the little kid section of Claire's.



 Hello Kitty tongue ring, which I had in hand before I even got my tongue pierced. Also some Hello Kitty plugs, which I can't wear anymore since they are a 4g and my ears are currently at a 0g.


Surprisingly, I don't have a Hello Kitty tattoo yet. Probably will once I figure out what I want and where to put it.

 Hat. Also a present from Shane. Starting to think he's my enabler. 



 Hello Kitty trading cards. Yes they make these, and for some reason I buy them. I know it probably doesn't look like a lot, but this is what they stack up to:
To put this in perspective for you, four cards come in every pack. 



 Figurines, which occasionally come in a pack of cards.



Of course, clothing. Can't find another one of my HK shirts, suspecting it's in the dirty laundry. 



Not pictured: underwear. No I'm not going to post those online for the world to see, but trust me, I do own multiple pairs of HK themed undergarments.



Even my phone has fallen victim to this illness. I actually have an app just for Hello Kitty wallpapers.


Items that I own, but are out of commission
When you live with two guys, it is kinda difficult to put this in the kitchen. Also, it leaves the middles of your toaster strudels frozen. The price you pay for Hello Kitty faces on your toast...


Phone, which isn't being used because I don't even have a home phone line anymore. 



So I know this probably doesn't look like a lot to you, or maybe it does, but trust me, when you can wake up in the morning and dress pretty much head to toe like a four year old who has just been allowed to choose their own clothes, you start to question your own sanity. And it's only that much harder when your workplace has just expanded the amount of Hello Kitty merchandise they carry:


Those first two booths are all HK merchandise! Everything from nail art stickers to iPad cases. And I am the kind of person who would buy an iPad just for the case. Okay so I really want one for other reasons, but the case just makes it that much better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment