Monday, February 23, 2015

Day 5: Fashion police

We don't have cable at our house. Don't worry, it's a good thing...those companies charge way too much for the same stuff we can see on Hulu a day later for way cheaper. But that sometimes means we miss out on big live events, like the Oscars. 

Just because I didn't actually see the Oscars doesn't mean I can't do a little fashion commentary and give out some awards of my own. While everyone else in the world watched the red carpet, I browsed my 2014 iPhoto library to bring you...

The best / worst / wackiest fashions of the year! 


Last spring, my sister Hannah graduated from cosmetology school, so of course we had to throw her a party! It couldn't just be any party though, we had to go all out and do a photo booth with hair related props. What says "we're proud and we love you" better than your mom in purple dreadlocks and your dad in a snazzy mullet & stick-on fu manchu?

This hat will always be the one that got away. That is, until I go back to that outdoor store, buy the hat, then put it in my closet where I forget about it and never wear it. I saw it while shopping for TomorrowWorld supplies but just couldn't commit. 

Forever 21 makes some questionable fashion choices and this hat is one of them. I don't know, maybe the hot new trend was to look like Rolf from Sound of Music? It was also oddly small, so I could only wear it by balancing it on top of my head. If anyone is looking for the perfect accessory for their toy soldier costume, you now know where to go. 

You know how sculptors can see a beautiful statue in their minds when they look at a block of marble? That's apparently what happens with Shane, watermelons, and sharpies. He drew this cool dude at a summer pool party. We felt guilty to cut into him after that. 


My sister and I went shopping together and both picked a velvet dress from the clearance rack. Once we put them on in the fitting room, we realized why it was on clearance. We looked like a pair of drapes from the Munsters' house, and like we'd both gained at least 30 pounds. If we needed to look like oversize twins from The Shining, this dress would be perfect. 


Don't you hate when you go out to a bar Halloween party and your group is the only one in costume? Shane totally rocked that hot dog and got quite a few laughs from me along the way. 


I can just picture the kind of girl who would wear this shirt. She's one of those who always says "I hate drama" but constantly has huge facebook arguments with everyone she knows. 

Shane fell in love with this (rather expensive) jacket at REI, which I thought matched his hair just a bit too much. He was a pretty cute for a giant carrot, but the jacket didn't make it home with us.  
We did the Color Me Rad 5k with several friends and had a ton of fun. You're supposed to wear all white and get bombed with colored corn starch every few feet. We wanted to make sure we got our money's worth out of the race, so we got as close as we could to every color station. As a result, my white running sports bra will forever look like it's been tie dyed. 


Sheldon and Charlie get groomed fairly regularly, but sometimes right before his appointments, Sheldon's nose/forehead hair will get so long he turns into a sheepdog and can't see. Shane's solution was one of my star shaped barrettes. Sheldon has no appreciation for fashion though and shook the barrette out of his hair within a minute. I had no choice but to pull out the scissors for a preliminary trim.


Yes, another Halloween costume. This year we bought a total of six. Our local Bargain Hunt store had a sale on closeout Kmart costumes for $5 each, which is a steal! We bought a pair of inflatable costumes, but this one is by far the best. I love how "muscly" the arms are, and the fact that the whole thing is way to short for Shane. See those black things around his calves? That's the hoof shoe covers. The back legs floated behind him and never quite touched the ground. 

This year we finally made it to a Renaissance Festival, which was super fun! We thought watching the jousting tournament would be the perfect finish to the day, but Mother Nature had other plans. The sky opened up and running back to the car was like running through a carwash. I obviously wouldn't make a very good interstellar hitchhiker because I was totally unprepared and without a towel.


I know I'm probably a little biased on this one but I can't help it. Shane and I sometimes take dressing room selfies when shopping to get the other's opinion on clothes. His are usually pretty cute, but this one takes the cake. He might get a little embarrassed that I'm sharing this, but it can't be worse than the hot dog or the centaur, right?





That's it for this year's awards. Congrats to the winners! 

To the runners-up, just remember it's an honor just to be nominated. 





No comments:

Post a Comment