Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Day 6: Night at the movies!

We broke our normal weeknight routine tonight with some help from our friends Faith and Kaylis. They had gotten free tickets for an advance screening of the new Will Smith movie Focus and had an extra set of passes. Shane and I don't go to the movies a lot because we're on a tight budget and are super picky about what we do see, but who can turn down a freebie?



Sneak peek ticketing works differently than regular movies. Regular movies can sell out, but sneak peeks hand out way way more tickets than they have seats and it's first come, first serve when you get there. Tonight's movie was set to start at 7:30 so we got there at 6:45 to get in line...behind the couple hundred folks already there. The line snaked throughout the whole lobby and we got real worried we weren't going to make it in. Rumor was the first guy in line showed up to the theater around 4:00. I'm all for a free movie, but I'm not that committed!


This is like 1/10th of the line. A lot of people had already gone in and we were making backup plans to walk around the mall instead. I felt bad for the poor lady checking passes, she looked so frazzled. I overheard her later saying the promo team had been told the screening was going on at another theater 15 miles away and they'd gone there first, whoops!

No worries though, because we made it in. We were on the second row and had to look straight up at the screen, but at least we weren't in the front row! Those poor people. 

Left to right: Shane, me, Kaylis, Faith
 Shane and I had to look up the movie trailer after we heard about the passes, so it wasn't like this was a movie we'd been looking forward to for months. We normally stick to comedies and don't see many dramas, but I thought the movie was pretty good. If you haven't seen the preview ( watch it here ), a quick synopsis with no spoilers...Will Smith is a pro con artist and brings a new woman into the group, teaching her the tricks of the trade. It was crazy seeing just how much they stole, and how easy it seemed! Especially the parts where they'd be pickpocketing...makes me want to be extra careful when I'm out in a crowd. 

I give the movie a 7/10, only because drama-type movies aren't my absolute fave, and while it was good, it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen or anything. If you're a Will Smith fan, it's a must go. For anyone else, it's a good movie that most would enjoy, even if it's just when it comes to Netflix / Redbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment