Friday, March 4, 2011

Everybody say "guten Tag!"

Before I introduce the newest member of the family, let me first explain to you what a process this has been. My car accident was three and a half weeks ago, and I have had the hardest time with the insurance people. They haven't been the quickest to respond unfortunately, but my plan of calling them every day and bugging the sh*t out of them finally paid off. They did finally total my car out (which was soo sad, I am glad that I wasn't there to see it hauled off to the junkyard) and my consolation was a nice check.

Some of you will already know about how obsessive I am with decision making, but for the rest of you, let me just fill you in. Like any major purchase I make, whether it be a new laptop, a car, or a different scent of soap at Bath and Body Works, I do research before I buy. Lots of research. I'm talking every spare moment is spent on the computer reading reviews, looking at pictures, etc. It's annoying. It stresses me out, and I think it bugs Shane too, because I am too busy googling to pay any attention to him. For the past three and a half weeks, I have been obsessing over cars. I have visited so many dealerships, test driven a bunch of cars, sat in just about everything at the car show, and checked Craigslist and Cars.com about every hour for new additions. I considered every option, I was even *thisclose* to buying a Kia Soul. In the end though, I decided I wanted another VW. I was just getting used to the idea of the Horner family being a VW family, plus I would feel pretty funny getting out of another car with my giant yellow VW umbrella.

Now just because I narrowed my search down to VW, that doesn't mean my choice was any easier. In fact, the only thing I knew for certain was that I didn't want another Beetle. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my Beetle, but mine was too special, and I didn't want to feel like I was replacing it. Plus I kinda wanted something with four doors. So then I test drove a bunch of VWs, including a manual (which I am still learning how to drive) diesel Golf, which was covered with dog hair and the smell of cigarette smoke. I finally found one that would make me, Shane, and the parents happy.




I'm thinking his name might be Max. Not sure yet, but it's just giving off the "Max" sort of vibes. Anyways, Max is a Certified Pre-Loved 2010 Golf. That means that I still have 2 years remaining factory warranty, and then another additional 2 year Pre-Loved warranty. That's even better than if I had bought Max brand new! Plus, he (it feels weird to say "he" lol) only had 14k miles, so I was basically getting a new car for several thousand dollars cheaper.


Now I just need to start saving my pennies so I can do some upgrades! I already have quite a few things on the list, like getting rid of those hubcaps and getting some real wheels! Good thing I have a job now :D

No comments:

Post a Comment