Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Where do you see yourself in five years?


Also known as my worst feared interview question. If you want to know the truth, I don't know where I see myself a week from now, much less five years into the future. I don't have plans for becoming a CEO for a Fortune 500 company, or being a famous actress, singer, etc., or even plans for hitting the Mega Millions jackpot and starting my own sports bar. In fact, the biggest thing I learned after four different majors and four and a half years in college is that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life. My goals are a little more abstract. I want to find a job that makes me happy. I don't need to be a millionaire, just make enough to pay bills and still be able to go on vacation every once in a while. I want to be able to spend nights and weekends with my husband, and sometime way off in the future, my kids. I want a job where I have to use my brain, so my education isn't wasted. Is that so much to ask?


Here are all the things that I have figured out I don't want to be...

Pharmacist: Wanted to be this until I worked in a pharmacy. Then I hated it. You spend all your time on your feet, counting pills. All day, every day. Too boring. Plus the idea of giving people flu shots freaks me out hard core.

Chemical Engineer: This was a split second interest after the pharmacist thing fizzled out. My logic was, I am good at science, if I don't want to count medicine out all day, why not develop it? The downside to any engineering degree is all the physics. I am pretty good at math (as in, getting good grades) but I don't comprehend it well. I feel like my retention of that stuff is almost zero to none.

Party Attendant at a Bounce House: Worked at one of those places over the summer one year. Entertaining the kids is the fun part. Being in your socks all day, not so much. Especially when they have birthday parties, and the kids spill cake and icing all over the floor. Trust me, you eventually step in it, then all your socks are stained blue and pink on the bottom.

French Teacher: This would be a really awesome job. Unfortunately the market for French is getting smaller and smaller. If I could just figure out a way to make it work, I would definitely go for it. I have to work on my accent though, because my luck, I would be the Peggy Hill of French teachers.

United Nations Translator: This interest was sparked by a trip to the UN in New York. This would also be a really awesome job, but I am sure there are tons of French speaking people who are more qualified than me (see Peggy Hill link above). Plus I fell asleep in The Interpreter.

Housing and Design/Interior Designer: the closest thing TTU offers to being an architect. In the end, it just wasn't enough architecture for me. The interior design part was fun, but not my forté.

Boutique Owner: Fun, but it seems like they barely break even, if they're lucky. Plus you spend all your time at the store. Too much stress for not enough return.



Now if I could just figure out something that I do want to do!


ETA: Maybe I could become a breeder for Petite Lap Giraffes.

No comments:

Post a Comment