Saturday, April 2, 2011

Green thumb? Try black.

I have always wanted to be a good gardener. I don't know if it is because of all of the flowers my dad used to plant in our yard, or if it's from the movie "A Troll in Central Park" which Hannah and I used to watch all the time when we were little. Unfortunately for me (and the plants I try to grow) I suck at gardening. The plant Shane bought me for my birthday, which was supposed to be super easy to grow, is currently dropping dead flowers all over the window sill. My miniature orange tree which I bought in Miami is flourishing and producing tiny oranges, all thanks to my dad, who has taken care of it pretty much since day 2. The terrarium I made three years ago, complete with mini farm animal decor, never sprouted and is still just a jar of dirt on my dresser. The only plant I have successfully kept alive is the peace lily from my Granny Opal's funeral, and that is really only with the help of Aqua Globes, a self-watering pot, and Shane, who waters it every time I forget.



Despite my terrible track record, I can't help but get sucked in by those miniature grow kits they sell at the store. You know the ones I'm talking about, the kind that you can get in the $1 section at Target. If you're lucky, you can find them in Disney Princess or Spongebob flower pots. They come with a tiny little pot, a pellet of dirt, a packet of seeds, and a promise that they will sprout in about a week.

Getting all the little plants ready. This is so exciting!
 From left to right we have: Daisies, grass, a Venus fly trap (even though I sorta have an irrational fear of them), a Spruce tree, and a polka dot plant.



Add a few tablespoons of water to the dirt pellets and they turn into, well, dirt. Looks pretty gross.



What's that you say, instructional packet? You're only supposed to add 5 grass seeds to the pot? That's no fun. Must've been a typo...



This is the aftermath when you try to do some light gardening in your bathroom. 



The manufacturers promise results in less than 5 days, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment