Saturday, January 22, 2011

Too much to ask?

After spending countless hours searching Craigslist, Monster, SnagAJob, TopJobs, and the other zillion job websites, I have hit a wall. I feel like I have filled out so many online job applications and so many of those confusing online personality profiles that my head is spinning. If you have ever done an online application, you know what I am talking about...they have these tests that usually take 30-45 minutes and they are supposed to make sure that you aren't crazy or going to steal everything from the store. One profile seriously asked me the same 10 questions about 10 times each. You don't know left from right, up from down once you finish one of those. 

At one point I was filling out 5 or 6 applications a day, signing up for places that I had absolutely no interest in working. I would stay up super late at night and fill them out, so I think I got a little delirious. I came *thisclose* to working at a Medieval Dinner Show and Jousting Tournament. The job included wearing a costume and carrying 30lbs. of roast chicken and ribs around. No, I don't know what I was thinking either. 

I have also applied to a few places that I am completely unqualified for. Bartender needed for high volume downtown tequila bar...can't be that hard, right? And the listing for a "Master Psychic needed immediately" to help a business executive make important decisions? Okay well I didn't actually apply for that one, I figured that when I showed up in a jeweled turban and inevitably dropped my crystal ball on my foot, they would realize I didn't have the 10+ years required experience. 

A couple of job listings have been scams, which is disappointing. There was one posting that I was particularly excited about, it was for a company looking for someone to help with customer service for their fashion retail website. When I got the email back from them, their link took me to a shady website for a condo rental management company. Can you say false advertising? 

I think I need to reevaluate my priorities. I want a job that I enjoy. I want a job that makes me feel like I went to college for a reason. I want to be useful to someone somewhere, for something other than doing laundry or cleaning up the kitchen. I want money so I don't feel bad asking Shane if it's okay for me to buy a cute pair of shoes. So I think I am giving up on online job listings entirely. Instead, I am going to print off about a thousand copies of my resume and drive around town until I find a place that catches my interest. Until then I still have my backup plan...



I don't exactly meet the qualifications for that job either...I am a natural born citizen, and I have lived in the US for at least 14 years, but I'm not 35 years old. Oh well, two out of three still counts right? 

3 comments:

  1. I'm almost 52yrs old and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! I'm sorry that it hasn't been easier or quicker for you! I honestly believe that you will land the perfect job that you will love and it will love you! I see lots of blogging in your future...Maybe I will apply for the psychic position myself! Lol Hang on Lauren - the perfect job for you is out there waiting! Love always Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Big! I busted out laughing when I read about the medieval waitressing job. I'm sure you would've had a lot of stories to tell! ha. I would totally vote for you for prez-y!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lauren you always make me laugh! i would vote for you too, and Idk the medieval job sounded pretty fun to me.

    ReplyDelete