Saturday, March 15, 2014

#11: Our new rides

For the past few months, Shane and I have been browsing for bicycles. We have never had bikes other than Walmart bikes and have been looking for activities that will get us out of the house and active.  

Shane was able to find one for himself about a month ago for an amazing price with a friend's membership to a discount website. He's been having fun driving around the neighborhood but hasn't gotten to do a ton of riding yet. But that's all about to change...

Diamondback Trace Dual Sport

...because I got a bike today! We went to REI for their members only Garage Sale to browse the deals (I got a pair of hiking shorts for $4, score!) and ended up looking at bikes. After a quick test ride in the neighborhood behind the store, I knew I loved the bike. Both of our bikes are hybrids, meaning that they're perfect on roads, sidewalks, or hard packed trails. 

Cannondale Quick

The new bike is going to take some getting used to, I'm already sore from the seat and I've never had a bike that actually fits before. I had to buy a women's TALL bike. And did you know that when you ride a "real" bike, you're not supposed to be able to stand flat-footed while on the seat? You are really supposed to barely even touch on tip toes. I almost fell over twice today but I'm sure with practice I'll get used to it. 

Shane and I are going to have some fun taking the bikes out as it warms up. There are tons of nice parks and other places to ride around here. If we can get in shape (and I can break in my bike seat) in time, we are thinking about possibly entering the Tour de Nash. They have an 8 mile family ride through downtown Nashville which looks really fun. Maybe we'll even get good enough to participate in the 30 or 60 mile rides in upcoming years!


No comments:

Post a Comment