Sunday, March 16, 2014

#12: Getting crafty!

Over the past few months, I've actually started and finished a lot more craft projects than I have in a long while. I'm sure Shane wishes I used up the supplies filling the office closet rather than buying all new stuff, but I do what I can. Hey, I used a couple of stash buttons and a bit of embroidery thread!

Anyways, on to the projects!

********************

This first project was for my great-nephew Bronson. His mom Heather was doing his room in all sock monkey stuff and wanted to have some newborn photos in a sock monkey outfit. I used a couple of different crochet patterns and looked at a bunch of different inspiration pictures to get it just right. I absolutely love how it turned out!

Adorable tiny hat!

Hat and diaper cover
Monkey tail :)

Blanket with hat for scale

Bronson is the first baby in the family (out of four so far) whose blanket was actually finished BEFORE he was born. 



You know I can't show you the sock monkey set without showing you the adorable baby it was made for! He's absolutely precious. I met him in person for the first time the other weekend and I can confirm he's just as cute, if not cuter, in person than in pictures.

So sweet! Baby Bronson


********************

If you saw this post, then you've already seen Shane's gift to me for our fifth anniversary. Here's what I made for him! 
Inspiration photo
I had pinned this cute idea a long time ago on Pinterest, and when I realized that the traditional 5th anniversary gift was wood, I knew I had to make it this year. I pictured a cute little circle just like the inspiration photo. 

Turns out it's a bit harder to find actual wood slices online that are both realistically priced and the size you want. I thought I found exactly what I was looking for though on one Amazon listing when I saw that the slice measured 6" across. A little bigger than what I wanted, but I knew I could make it work. 

Not at all what I expected.
Sure, it was about 6" across, and nearly 17" long! Sometimes accidents turn out to be happy accidents though, because I think my version turned out just great. 

Sketching out my design and starting to drill.
I had to drill a LOT of holes for this. I am proud to say that during the whole process, Shane had no idea what I was making because he just so happened to have to go on a business trip and I had the house to myself for a couple of days to work. He might've gotten a bit suspicious when I called him and asked how to change the drill bit, but I think he was very surprised when he saw the gift. 

Finished project with our wedding year

 ********************

My sister graduated from Tennessee School of Beauty in February and I was at a loss for what to get her, until my mom mentioned she needed a tip jar. I volunteered myself for that and went to town with some rhinestones and silver paint. I wasn't exactly sure what direction I was going to take when I started, but I think it turned out pretty cute. I forgot to take a picture of it when it was done, but I assure you it reads "TIPS". This project took a lot of patience and a very steady hand, especially with the smaller stones. 

Tip jar for my sister

********************

The last project on today's post was for my in-laws. They bought a new house a few weeks ago and we wanted to take them a housewarming gift when we went to help them move in. As it seems with most of my projects, I really wasn't sure how this would turn out or what direction it was going to go in.  I always seem to have a hard time when I try to paint because I don't have enough patience to use the really small brushes or let the paint dry between coats, so this was really hard for me. I'm also a perfectionist, so I tend to try to "fix" something that I think looks off only to make it way worse. I think I repainted the red part of the toadstool house at least ten times. Shane's parents loved it though, and that's all that matters. 

Housewarming sign for my in-laws.


No comments:

Post a Comment