Sunday, March 30, 2014

#25: DG Founders Day!

A bit of background for those of you reading who are not members of Delta Gamma Fraternity... it was founded in 1873 by three girls (Anna Boyd, Eva Webb, and Mary Comfort) who were stuck at school (Lewis School for Girls, Oxford, Mississippi) over Christmas break because of the snow. They decided to form a club with the motto of "Do Good," and later chose the Greek letters Delta Gamma (ΔΓ) as the name of the club. Today the club has grown to an international Fraternity with over 200,000 members. Although Delta Gamma was founded in December, March 15th was chosen as the "official" Founders Day.

Yesterday afternoon the Cookeville Alumnae Association and the Nashville Alumnae Association joined forces with the Epsilon Epsilon - TN Tech chapter of Delta Gamma to celebrate Founders Day at the Lebanon Country Club. I was excited to go as I haven't been able to keep up with everyone as much as I'd like lately and Founders Day is always a really great time. 


We had a nice lunch along with a raffle, a giving tree for donations in honor or in memory of a sister, and our fabulous guest speaker, Fraternity Foundation Director Roxanne LaMuth. 


Mrs. LaMuth gave a speech about the wonderful things the Delta Gamma Foundation and philanthropy, Service for Sight, is doing to help the blind and visually impaired. She shared a lot of interesting history of the foundation, and also filled us in on the latest developments in Service for Sight's newest initiative, Joining Forces, which benefits U.S. service members from all branches of the military who have suffered injuries resulting in vision loss. She has a lot of passion for the Fraternity and our mission and it shows. Her energy is just amazing!


We also had a fashion show featuring hats made by my good friend Julie Ann Mirse of Whimsies by Jules. She's the one in the middle of the front row wearing the white dress with white and black polka dot hat. I got to be in the show and wore a Gatsby inspired headband. Good thing I'd worn my extra long pearls!




I am so proud of Shannon, one of my little sisters, because she won Best New Alumna Member of the Year! She won Collegiate Sister of the Year last year too! She's really racking up the awards, and she deserves it :) 



The best part of the day was getting to see all of my awesome sisters, and especially my DG family. Here I am with my little sisters, Shannon (on my left) and Adrianne (on my right), their littles, their littles' littles, their littles' littles' littles, and so forth. This isn't all of us, but just the ones who could make it to Founders Day. 


I'm so thankful to be a part of such a wonderful organization and share it with so many amazing women. I'm already looking forward to the next Founders Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment