Monday, March 2, 2015

Day 11: Full of beans

I've spent all day studying for my biology test (been working on it since Thursday) and am taking a special procrastination break just to write this post. Seriously, why is studying taking so long? Maybe I should start actually studying between classes like I'm supposed to and not just leading up to the test. 

Shane and I did take a break this morning / afternoon to grab some breakfast. He woke up craving Cracker Barrel biscuits and gravy, and who was I to say no? 


Check out this delicious spread. He got biscuits and gravy with a side of bacon and hashbrown casserole. I picked the Wholesome Fixin's breakfast, which came with two scrambled egg beaters, turkey bacon or sausage, cheese grits, sliced tomatoes, and a side of fruit. And under 500 calories? Yum! 

While Cracker Barrel's food is pretty tasty, the real draw is the general store. Where else can you play checkers while you wait on your table, smell 100+ different candles, buy a birdhouse shaped like a cowboy hat, and stock up on enough candy to rot out all your teeth in one sitting? 

Really though, they have quite the selection of candy. I used to be a big fan of the giant Tootsie Rolls, you know the ones that are the size of a normal candy bar and are so tough that they nearly break out your teeth. And what about those candy sticks? The ones that cost like 15 cents each? I always always wanted to try the horehound flavor because my grandmother said she used to eat them when she was little. Turns out horehound is like root beer flavor but so much worse. Would not recommend. 

Speaking of weird candy, check out these Jelly Belly flavors. I'd love to get a job in their flavor invention department, because they'll just take anybody's idea and run with it. 


This "Peas & Carrots" pack is a little misleading, as they're really orange sherbet and green apple flavors. I guess it's for the best, because I can't imagine legitimately flavored peas and carrots jelly beans. 

Since those peas and carrots threw us for a loop, it's somewhat reassuring to see that the pancakes and syrup beans are really pancake and syrup flavored. 


I still can't imagine this being a good buy though. I'm not a big fan of maple syrup, but even if I was, I think the novelty of the taste would wear off after the first couple of beans. 

Seeing these got me interested so I had to do some web research. There were some other questionable choices, including Tabasco Sauce and egg nog, but none more so than the alcoholic beverage flavors (alcohol free, of course). 
Flavors like strawberry daiquiri and margarita, I can get that. Those are fruity drinks that just so happen to have alcohol. But beer flavored? Unless you're drinking some sort of fancy craft beer, most don't drink it for the taste. 

You can also get champagne flavored if draft beer isn't classy enough for your jelly bean eating tastes. 


I guess these are good for church weddings where you're not allowed to serve alcohol but still want a champagne toast? I really don't know. Just take a look at the actual description from their website: 
Toast any occasion with Champagne jelly beans. They have all the flavor of a glass of bubbly in a petite-package and with none of the alcohol. Their iridescent finish will help to bring that extra sparkle to weddings, showers, parties and adult snacking. 

No alcohol content.
"Adult snacking." Now if there was a way to actually get some alcohol content in there, that term might apply. 

In case your mouth is watering right now, here's a link to their site where you can buy a 10lb bulk case for $85. According to the description, they come in a food-grade cardboard box, so you can just pop the top, sit it out on the table, and instant party!  


Keep in mind, this is all brought to you by the people who make enticing flavors like earthworm, dirt, earwax, and boogers (thanks to J.K. Rowling), so I guess they can only go up from there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment