Tuesday, April 15, 2014

#39: Countdown to TomorrowWorld!

Only about five and a half months or so until Shane and I are headed down to the Chattahooche Hills in Georgia for TomorrowWorld! We will be spending five nights and four days (the first day is meet and greet for campers, the next three are the music festival) camping under the stars and enjoying a LOT of people watching. 


While I am really excited, I am also incredibly nervous about the situation. I'll let you in on a little secret...I suck at camping. I hate being dirty and being around bugs and dirt and all of that mess. The one time I went to summer camp (for one week) in the fourth grade, we had to sleep under a tarp in the woods after a bonfire one night. I gave myself a pep talk and managed to power through until I woke up in the middle of the night to find my stuffed dog sitting in a giant pile of leaves. I lost it. 

I like to think I'm not a high maintenance person. I mean, I hardly ever wear makeup. My hair is barely dry when I leave the house in the mornings. You'd never be stuck waiting hours for me to get ready to go somewhere. But just try to get me dirty, that's when my attitude really screams "DIVA". I have a tough time working in the garden because what happens when your gloves get dirty and your face gets itchy? I actually looked at a listing for one of those tough mudder type 5ks and said to myself, "Oh, that looks fun, maybe it wouldn't be so bad?" until I clicked through and saw a girl crawling under barbed wire and up to her neck in mud. That's my version of hell right there, y'all. 

I also hate being sweaty for extended periods of time (more than thirty seconds), but the exercising has helped me a lot with that. You are going to be really sweaty, and you can either deal with it or be out of shape. Maybe I should try a similar approach to the dirt thing, gradually expose myself to it and just learn to deal. Then who knows, you may find me rolling around in the backyard mud patch right alongside Charlie. Yeah, right, haha. 

I am really nervous about the packing situation too. I had a dream about it last night and I obsessed all day over what I could possibly need. I feel like I should open up the suitcases in the spare bedroom and start massing supplies. I'm a notorious over-packer (I bring like six outfit options for a two day trip home) but I still feel like we're going to get there and say, "dang it, why didn't we think of _______!" Two must-haves on my list so far are: 1) two small tarps in case the tent leaks and we also need to put one under the air mattresses, 2) lots of baby wipes (see above dirt-ophobia). Also snacks, lots and lots of non-perishable snacks, which we will probably eat through on the first day when we realize a hamburger costs like $20 or something. 

Regardless, I still think it is going to be an amazing experience for Shane and myself. It will definitely be an adventure that we won't soon forget. As long as I haven't annoyed him to death and he hasn't murdered me by the end of the trip, it will be a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment