Tuesday, April 1, 2014

#28: I'm getting better

Remember a couple weeks ago when I found my mantra? I think I need to write it on my hand or something, because today at the gym I was getting all discouraged when I had to take a quick break here or there during my running intervals. 

You know what I realized tonight? I AM GETTING BETTER. Just a week and a half ago I thought I was going to die when I ran for 3 minutes...but today I made it about 4.5 minutes before I had to take a quick breather (we're talking 10-15 seconds, then I got back into it and made up for the break and then some). I know it doesn't sound like a lot to add 1.5 minutes of running, but OMG YOU GUYS I RAN FOR 4.5 MINUTES STRAIGHT! When I started the Couch 2 5k program almost a month ago, I could barely make it to run for 30 SECONDS at once. 

I'm starting to realize that I have always put too much pressure on myself and trying to be "perfect" while trying to lose weight and exercise. If I slipped up and ate a candy bar, well there goes the diet. When I missed a night's run or doing the next day of the exercise DVD, I was just all off track. Might as well wait til next week to start, right? Oh that week's no good for me? Well how about the next....

No more of that nonsense. Realistically I know I will never be perfect at anything. All I can do is try my best to take care of myself and make the most of what I've got. And if I eat a candy bar or miss a run here or there, what's gonna happen? The workout police gonna get me? But if I completely give up over something small and silly, I'm only punishing myself. 


Today's run was no cake walk, but I (mostly) did it! I'm sure next week when I'm huffing and puffing through 6 and eventually 8 minute runs, a 5 minute run will seem like small potatoes. 

And look! I'm halfway to running a 5k! (Some C25k programs vary in length, this one is 8 weeks instead of the usual 9). 


That gives me plenty of time to be ready to run in the Color Me Rad 5k this year, which according to my countdown, is in 81 days. We're feeling good enough about our running that we're looking at signing up for an earlier 5k, the Stache Dash on May 3rd. You should join us, it looks like a lot of fun!



It's most exciting to see progress like this when I compare my activities on my RunKeeper log. I'm pretty consistently training for more and more time, and going farther and farther while I do. I can't wait until I finish the program and then think back on this, and how hard it seemed, and how much better I will be. 


Just remember...it will never get easier, but you will get BETTER. 

No comments:

Post a Comment